Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Daddy's Little Princess?

Its been a long break from the blogger world. I didnt post anything new, neither did I read any. Now I'm back, and I feel refreshed!

Last week I was watching an episode of Oprah Winfrey Show. I like this show, and love the work her Angel Network does. The topic has been discussed before, talked, mourned and cried. But this time I learnt more. It was about fathers sexually molesting their own daughters! I feel very sad to know that such fathers do exist. First time I came to know about such crimes, I talked to my dad, and asked him how can any father do such a thing. He said these kind of stories are beyond his comprehension and can only be committed by men who are not normal. There was a teenage girl, narrating her story and cried continuously. I admired her courage to do such a thing in front of an audience and a camera. She was finding it so difficult to say her step father had done the same thing to her mentally challenged sister too. He tried to reason it by saying he was looking for acceptance and love. What crap!! But he confessed that such crimes are not committed because of sudden urge or lack of thinking, he said the crime is planned for months. The men actually first just try to get close to their daughters by fondling. On finding no resistance, they try more moves.

It was disgusting. Such crimes usually go unnoticed by the law cause the mothers refuse to go against their husbands! sometimes the girl keep this as a secret as she is afraid that her mother might choose her husband over the girl. I could see anger and comtempt in Oprah's eyes, a victim herself. Her words were bitter when she told the audience that the criminals, on found gulity are sentenced to therapy and just 5 or less number of years of imprisonment. Horrific to know that, as these crimes are worse than manslaughter. I was so glad to have a father whom I love and respect.

9 comments:

Keshav said...

Deepthi, you have written about something which I really wanted to discuss for so long.

First thing - personally I feel, this is the worst level to which a man can degrade, but you must have to agree to it, that it's not a common phenomenon, and so we cannot and should not generalize it to the whole male race.

You don't seem to be reading newspapers and watching news - you don't need to look to the West to find such occurances, there are plenty of beasts around us doing such heinous deeds and still go un-noticed.

Given that in most of the cases, the mother knows of the incident, and yet chooses to keep quiet - Don't you think acts as a meek acceptance to the brutality? I am not denying the crime on the father's part - that's a completely different matter which cannot be argued - but don't the mothers have this moral obligation to raise their voices against such brutality?

I personally feel, women have an added responsibility as the sufferers are women only - what is it that makes them keep quiet?

I don't think one can have such a weak and dormant conscience that she can choose to keep quiet in the name of saving her family's, her daughter's and her own respect? How can one choose to live with some person keeping quiet all the while, and thus suffer all the life?

How much ever ironical it may sound, but it is the fact - in most of the cases, women too are responsible. By keeping quiet they simply encourage the guy. Why does the daughter have to keep mum, and don't you think even if she dares raise her voice, the Indian mothers who are wives first, would slap the daughter back, untill they see it first hand?

Object strongly, speak out your mind the very first time - and you can contain the beast in the form of father.

The women need to stop this hypocricy of being Pati-vratha - they have a bigger obligation towards their children, especially the girls - for it's they who are the first teachers and in 99.99% cases the ideals their kids look back at... they are their support .. and strength.

KAD said...

@Keku - Spelling mistake in the last paragraph, it is hypocrisy and not "hypocricy". :D

Unknown said...

@Keshav, I never generalized this to all men. And I am well aware of such crimes happening in India too. I was just writing with reference to that particular episode. What you have asked about the women, the same question Oprah asked too. But the girls are scared, either because people wont believe them or they are afraid of the consequenses, the father hardly ends up in prison. Only thing they need is support from the society. I'm sure then women will be strong enough to fight.

They showed a women who was a victim too. She shot and killed her father after he abused her daughter too. But all she got in return was 7 years imprisonment. Thats what you get for fighting back? Law definitely is blind and its about time to change it.

Unknown said...

spellcheck shiekh!! :P

Keshav said...

Hey Deepthi, Don't you think opposing and raising your voice makes more sense than keeping your mouth shut, and living a zombie's life? And moreover, isn't it the duty of the sufferer to raise the voice against this brutality? Let the society do it's duty, let it fail or pass, but ultimately, it's the people who make the society. And if, even a single person raises a voice, it does make a difference..sure it would take time!

@ Kannu: You stalker spellcheck!!!
:D

Raju PP said...

@deepthi
a very daring, thoughtful n heart-churning post indeed. we all know such things exist and as ur father said, these things r kinda behind my comprehension. r they really human beings??

@keshav
even a single person raises a voice, it does make a difference..

i dont agree with ya dude!! its easy written than done!

cappucinno said...

hey loved you blog-yeah man are weird-so be a flirt,wear your hair short, smile wide,be thin and voluptous.who cares?

Unknown said...

Thanks Raju, Cappucinno :)

H.S. Dharmendra said...

Hi Deepti, nice thought provoking post, this one. There are all kinds of men on this earth living in flesh and blood. They are weird, cruel, funny, scary, loving, innocent, friendly, etc.

Even our epics like Ramayana and Mahabharatha are full of such weird characters.

I have just finished a post on Sri Rama which was going on in my mind since very long. Whenever I shared it with my friends and people I respect they took an exception to my views and it has become quite controversial. I want you to read it and let me know your views on it.

Bye.