Friday, May 13, 2005

Being Single

I read a very interesting article in Deccan Herald's Living supplement. It was an article about single men and women. Not only did it have stories about single youth but also about people who are living for years, all alone. There was one interesting line that a doctor said. She said "when you are living alone, you cant afford to fall ill". She was speaking for me. This whole week I was ill, still am, which explains my dry days in this blog, and also that my blogshares have dropped 1000 points!! Coming back to the point, I took leave for a day and a half. I couldnt sit in the AC room for long and felt very tired. But when I was in my room, I was bored to the maximum. With just a radio and a novel, fiction has never been my favorite, I was looking for things to pass time. Called few friends of mine. But got lot of time to think about what I plan to do, how to manage relationships, how to say NO in the most polite way. Maybe that should be my next buy, a book on 'Learn how to say NO'. Why am I wandering from what I am supposed to write?!

Well, the fact is, no matter how much we singles enjoy the freedom of being our own boss, doing things on our terms and no one to share the bathrooms! Had to mention that, there is the inevitable loneliness. Never felt so alone before. Now I'm sick, and have nobody to take care of me, well not entirely true, a very sweet friend is helping me in all the possible ways he can. The downpart is washing and cleaning even though I'm tired and my whole body aches, preparing my own meal (really missed my family this week. Gosh! I used to be so pampered when I fell ill).

But its a very good experience to live alone. I got plenty of time to spend with myself and learn lot of things which I wouldnt have known otherwise. But there are occasional raised eyebrows, questions about why a young girl is still single and doubts about the orientation which I have to deal with.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

you bet..its not the aches and pains that trouble as much as the 'sitting at home doing nothing' feeling...unless you've got the family to pamper you of course..lol...tc..

Rajdwip said...

hey chk out my blog about loneliness..it conveys for or less the same idea u tried to portray..

Unknown said...

Sitting at home doing nothing is painful,but my friend said he is jealous of me coz I got the chance of doing it on a working day!
rajdwip, its just a co-incidence I guess :)

Karthik L G said...

be happy to be alone
be alone to be happy


live a life of a ' yekanagi '
kannada word for loner

hi,
first time on ur blog

Anonymous said...

Take care deepthi.

KAD said...

Yella OK..Headache yaake??

Unknown said...

Thank you anonymous.
Thanks ppl for all your best wishes.I'm feeling a lot better now.
Kannu, adu sumne haage!

KAD said...

Are you feeling a lot better because of the wishes or feeling better because you are already better?

Unknown said...

I was very glad to receive so many wishes and help,really made me feel so good when I was ill. Now the cold and fever has come down, so feeling better.

Anonymous said...

U were ill for almost a week n I didnt know!!I'm so sorry dear.Was busy with work.My boss isnt happy with my photographs anymore :-(
So how are u feeling now? I see that u have recovered.

Unknown said...

Its ok Kiran.And I think its high time you have a studio of your own.You have been planning for years!

Karthik L G said...

hi deepthi,
read from ur blog abt kiran
wat? is he a photographer caught up in a techies body?
looks like that
read that his boss .....
anyways gimme his blog id if he has one

i too like photography

Unknown said...

Thanx Vyom, checked your blog.Nice one.
Hi Karthik, Kiran is not a techie, He is working as a photographer in a studio and he doesnt do photography like you do. And the guy doesnt maintain a blog.

Karthik L G said...

deepthi ' he doesent do photography like u do' confused ... is that supposed to be a +ve/-ve remark
just curious ahh
do visit my blog
n btw is deepthi.s@___.com urs

Sangeeta said...

Get well soon Deepthi...bega bega get well soon:p

Unknown said...

Sure sangeetha, aadashtu bega :)

Anonymous said...

Discussion abt me in your blog!wow! shouldnt hav been this way though. Karthik, what deepti is saying is photography is a hobby for you (got the idea frm your blog),but is a profession for me.i request u to plz stop bothering my friend with such questions.
Deepu, its tough to loan money for my studio,i'm already in debts :-(

Unknown said...

Thank you Kiran :) dont loose hope yet.Why dont you ask Naina's dad, maybe he will help .. oops! hope she doesnt read my blog.The kind of comments you leave on my blog, she will kill u!

Karthik L G said...

k dude,
if u thought that I was bothering ur fren.. khsamisbidappa

bereyavara vishaya nanagyake

maybe it was my mistake tht I commented on the blog

- goodbye

bablu said...

When u are sick that u miss ur family. Enjoy life till u are single.