Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Mrs. Indira says...

Its a real challenge to live with old people. It is a different story if the person is your grandparent, but if he/she is your landlord, you would think atleast once of committing a murder or suicide. My landlady Mrs. Indira is around 75 years old, quite fit for her age, and full of energy to irritate me.
Here is the list of things she says or do that annoys me.
She spends her entire day at the Bangalore Club, playing Poker or Tambola, boozing, and she expects me to be back every night before 9 PM.
Repeats the same thing over and over again, every time I return, "switch of the light, tighten the tap, close the door properly,..."
Every time I iron my clothes, "Dont forget to switch off the iron, if it gets too heated, it might blast and bring down the entire apartment building", really? A small iron box! how??
"No cooking after 8 in the night, the cockroaches from outside the apartment will get the smell and will come inside" Didnt know they are nocturnal.
"Do you use the water heater?" before I could ask her if she going to stop me from using it, she said "good, you know otherwise the water will go stale if not used for long, and when switched on after a long time, it might blast", I think she watches a lot of Bollywood movies.
When I'm all set to leave for office, she thrusts a mop stick into my hand and asks me mop to the bathroom!
She has to open up her album, the exact time when I'm late for something and show me the same damn photos everytime without sparing me the story of her journey from riches to rags. "You have to be thankful to our ancestors[Madrasi Tamilians, I guess]that youngsters like you have the right to speak in English.They fought with Muslim leaders,who wanted to make Urdu-Hindi the official language of India and get rid of English". I dont know what her ancestors did, but didnt do a good job putting some sense into her.
I would just go on complaining but its better I stop it here.Its really surprising that though I am short tempered I always try my best to be nice to her, She is afterall a senior citizen, and living all by herself too.

4 comments:

Chethan C said...

Phew blasts everywhere...u really areliving on the edge arent you...
I am sooo proud of my landlord though..even though sometimes he cribs abt how he came here as a refugee and built these houses..

Unknown said...

@Sattu:Vodka is all that you can think about eh?She is too old for that buddy.

@ kountay:Proud of your landlord?! Would want to ask more about it but I have heard enough about your landlord already :)
I'm planning to move out soon.

claytonia vices said...

Hey Deepthi! I had a landlord who had the right to walk in anytime he wanted. Who kept a lot of his things in my apartment and had the obnoxious habbit of never allowing anyone complete a sentence! He would butt in with an 'it's alright!' whatever I tried to say! He WAS my landlord.

And hey! Thanks for your comments on my blog! :-)

bablu said...

Ha Landlords and Landladies. I had both whe ni first moved to B'lore. UR post reminded me of those days. This old couple was absolutely stingy for money n' giving rags all d time. Now i shifted out b'coz of the constant haggling.