Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Closure

The teacher pulled up his fat glasses over his broad nose and called out her name, and he made it sound so sweet.The girl with plump cheeks and fair skin stood up and as she walked she smirked and looked at me, but just for two seconds as she moved on and faked a surprise look, though she was sure she stood first in the class. She was the favorite, she was the sweet-heart and she was popular. I never craved to be like her, I was happy and content, but
it was she who always compared herself to me, maybe she was insecure. She would work hard to score higher, she would do anything to please the instructor to get the lead role in the dance performance. I just gave her competition and watched in amusement.Yes, I was evil, but didnt mean to be malevolent. Her attempt to make me feel inferior and her failure to do so, amused me even more. She is related to me [ and no, I dont want to trace the family tree] and was considered better than me by grannies, aunties and mamas. It was a blessing in disguise for me, cause there were no expectations from me. After school we went our seperate ways. She struggled to finish her graduation, while I maintained my average scores, graduated and got a decent job. One of these best days of my life I met her, recently. She is now lean and looked tired. She is married to a man born more than a decade before us, who was chosen by her parents. She asked what am I doing these days. The smirk was now just a lazy smile.I didnt gratify my evil self, instead shook her hand, gave her warm wishes, tasted the ice cream she offered and left after the exchange of goodbyes. I think we both closed this chapter.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm .. the tone of ur story seems like 'she' is not faring well in her life .. how can u be so sure ?

Karthik L G said...

'evil self'
uv understood urself well

its like one of these movie plots ur story

and how true that a woman herself is another womans worst enemy

Unknown said...

@daggereyes:I am not sure abt what is going on in her life but when I met her, I felt we must put an end to our stupid fight.

@Karthik: we were never enemies coz we never meant ill-will to each other. And whatever you have commented is not true.

Anonymous said...

It closes a chapter for sure...
Can totally connect to that since even to date my cousin behaves in the very same manner!! And sadly there seems to be no closure...

KAD said...

Hehe!! Deepthi reveals her devilish side!! And I thought I was the only person who hated people enough to write about them!!

i-me-myself said...

Hmm.. she's not talking about hate here...I think she's talking more in an amused tone about all the unnecessary animosity this girl had towards her. And she's thanking her stars that her life is going the way it is. I've seen this happen too :)

Unknown said...

Why dont guys understand what I have written here?!! This proves how insensitive boys are. Correction Kannu, I DONT hate her.Got it?

Thanks busy-be for understanding my post so well :)

Anonymous said...

Very well written... Its pretty common to see things like this in our world.

Kind of highlights how we grow up with all our priorities wrong (and we are not to blame :-)), and how things could change

when we face the real, big, bad world!! Happens to most of us, I guess.

Bottom line - Nice post, food for thought.

And maybe you are generalizing the "insensitivities" of guys a little too much? ;-)

Unknown said...

Thank you very much. Now when I look back, the whole competition thing feels silly. Thankfully we both have grown beyond that, into responsible adults.
Yeah I shouldn't have generalised, I lose my temper too soon.

Keshav said...

I appreciate that you have come out of those kiddy fights and competitions!

But don't you think you got over it, and look at it as an immature act, because you were never close to the person, and perhaps, she didn't mean much anytime in your life?

And maybe, I got it wrong, but her marriage part to someone older to her by a generation, seemed more like a sarcastic remark, than a sorry one!

And the feeling of satisfaction that you got by what you termed as closing the chapter, was more because you could see her suffering already, and may be your sub-conscious mind was happy to see you getting your share of due fun!

And I never said, I am right.. We all have a darker side.

Unknown said...

Yet another guy thinking the same way. I do agree that I was never close to her,but we were never enemies. If I had felt sorry or had a sub-conscious feeling of happiness at her state today, there wouldnt have been any closure at all.

Keshav said...

I did no where mention enemies or hatred.
All I wanted to say was, even if you wrote it with a clean mind of closing the chapter and moving on, still, in parts, shades of the darker character in you, were visible.

I already appreciated the move.

And it's not "yet again another guy" thing - You must agree to it! Any reader would get this inference.

Keshav said...

and about the sub conscious part:
Read Malcolm Gladwell's Blink!!

Most of your misconceptions, like mine, would be solved!!
:D

Abdulla Syed said...

Abbu speak:
somebody somewhere somelike said "art is never finished, it is abandoned" 

likewise it seems u just abandoned the fight, there is a tinge of ego in it , to call it a real end.

Crush said...

touched! evil rocks...