Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Desperate Measures

Few days back I was having dinner alone at a small eating joint closeby to my house. Though my mouth ulcers were screaming with pain I was slurping away rice and hot rasam. Just then a man walked in and sat in a table next to mine. His personality was that of a businessman. He started to stare. At first I was uncomfortable for a while, then I ignored him and continued to enjoy my Thali. He took out his cell phone and dialled. I doubt that he was talking to anybody at all. He started talking to some "SIR" in Hindi. Excerpts from the "conversation":

"Why dont you stay at my place? Its a big home! You dont have to spend so much on hotel bills sir"
"Oh common! Mine is a 3 bedroom house and you know I dont have a wife! I dont even have a girlfriend" Ok now he is giving details.
"Hey! Its in Koramangala, very close to Forum, I watch movies every weekend" long pause...stare..."alone" shucks!! this is too much!
"No no, you dont need to book a taxi, You can use my Ikon, cause I often use my Octavia....hey I sold my accent and planning to buy any new model" yeah, what about your Ferrari?!
"Business is doing so good! Just now I decided to export!" To timbuktu?
All this time I am trying not to listen but he is screaming at top of his voice. The rest of the crowd too was looking at this guy, some even stopped eating.
"What will I do with my MBA degree? First class is of no use" Then he yelled out his percentage which I dont remember.
The waiter approaches, he asks about the items available. Then the guy has a problem with everything, "oh! thats oily" "oh! I cant eat so much" "No way!It wont be good to eat" "Sir, I always avoid such cheap places, but today I am in a hurry" " Glass is not clean, water is not completely clear" If only I could shout GET A LIFE!!
I just couldnt take it anymore. I quickly finished my dinner, payed and I left uttering something in hindi which meant "people can fall to any level to get noticed" I dont remember what exactly I said, but I hope I was grammatically correct. I believe he heard me, coz his conversation with the SIR ended abruptly.

7 comments:

claytonia vices said...

What you did was very appropriate!! :-))

There are a lot of people who think that other people are too dumb to understand their cheapness!! And a lot of people are too hesitant to show then that they do understand...

Way to go! :-)

Unknown said...

I have witnessed the "mobile ringing in between" scenarios too.. its really funny.

Thanks Chaitanya :) you are so damn right!

Sangeeta said...

Gawd! Im surprised he didnt dish out his mobile number..and break into some silly song..

on the other hand he might have been a homosexual seducing a guy..

Anonymous said...

'Onnne Tiggghhht Slaaaap' (the way they show on MTV) would not have been out of place. U should have done that :)

Blah! said...

maybe he was hittin on you n trying to "show off" his materialistic stuff n showing off his dirty side :-)

duff said...

i'm afraid i would have been far too tempted to throw my water at him, abruptly ending his phone conversation.

Unknown said...

@Kars - maybe eh? Even I thought so!! ;)

@Duff - I was tempted to do just that but since I am regular customer to that place,I refrained myself.