Thursday, July 28, 2005

Excuse Me for not being a Snob

I walked into a designer store. Had bought a Ghagra long time back, just needed to get some alterations done. I was in my jeans, not so new tees, a bag on both my shoulders, sneakers which were a bit muddy and a helmet in one hand. The saleswoman gave me a surprise look. I put down the skirt and gave instructions. She was still not listening to me. She had already judged me even before I spoke. I had to repeat and talk firmly this time to grab her attention. She first denied its a creation from the store. How strange is that? Then she took a look at the dress and she was surprised at what she saw. She said "Yes, indeed its from our store!" It was hard for her to digest the fact that a girl like me could own such a dress. To my amazement she even asked me to whom this dress belongs to! I said bluntly " Does it matter? just tell me will you do it or not?" I was losing my temper by now coz the woman was still staring at me with a blank expression and wasnt speaking anything. Finally she agreed. Then I just left the store giving her my contact number. Before I walked out I turned back and asked "So, when can I come to collect MY dress?"
I really wonder who gives them the right to judge a customer with what he/she is wearing or how good they look. Isnt it their duty to just help the customer, without judging that person on weather he/she can buy or not? They forget that they cant even afford to buy the items!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

its very easy to lose temper, but very difficult to control it. i guess, those ppl will be seeing thousands of customers each week. even they'll need some sort of break - be it judging people who walk into the stores. i had a similar experience in a VISA interview a year ago. usually the US guy there just asks official questions. but the day i went in he was in a relaxed mood and was making fun of my dress - i was drenched in rain. we both had a hearty laugh. :-)
jus try controlling temper - its a very dangerous thing.
btw - you can lose temper over me commenting anonymously or you can read it calmly and take/discard it. choice is yours

Karthik L G said...

Hi check this out

http://anuradhagoyal.blogspot.com/2005/07/ironies-of-living-in-bangalore.html

zombiee said...

Pretty Woman.. thats the only instance that comes to my mind. BUT WHY JUDGE etall..... Service is a myth.

Sangeeta said...

yeah..I know the kind...Mumbai stores are full of snooty sales girls...infact the guys are very helpful and friendly..and warm..me always approaches them

Unknown said...

Even I feel salesmen are better sometimes!

Anonymous said...

hey thats ok deepthi...its a commomn thing by any human ...jus judge by looking at the person instantly but thn later he/she may realise it. tell me frankly dnt u judge a person by looking at him/her at first sight..wat say???now dnt u feel whoz this funny guy commenting on this..well without u knwing abt me??? to err is human..simple...